Why study Green Roofs?
This certificate imparts knowledge and skill in the planning, design, installation, and maintenance of green roofs. Green roofs, also known as vegetated roofs, are landscapes over structure, requiring expertise that combines several fields of study: landscape architecture, architecture, horticulture, and landscape design and maintenance. The roof is the final frontier of urban spatial design, and the vegetated urban roof supports environmental, economic, and social components of sustainable urban design. This certificate addresses contemporary issues in living architecture, particularly in this emerging area of expertise.
Upon completion of this certificate, students will be able to
- Exhibit basic proficiency in the advocacy, planning, design, construction, and maintenance of vegetated roofs.
- Apply critical thinking skills to the analysis of existing and proposed vegetated roof systems.
- Describe the benefits and public health, safety, and welfare issues associated with vegetated roofs.
- Describe applicable policies, codes, regulations, and incentive programs related to vegetated roof implementation.
- Describe the role of vegetated roofs in sustainable site and building design.
- Prepare basic feasibility and precedent studies that support the implementation of appropriate vegetated roof systems.
The certificate in green roofs is one of the first in North America, and its faculty are practicing experts in their fields of horticulture and landscape architecture. Students who pursue this certificate may also be interested in becoming Accredited Green Roof Professionals (GRP) with the organization Green Roofs for Healthy Cities.
Students seeking admission to this certificate must have at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average in previous college work. To apply, students should submit the DAAP Undergraduate Application for Certificates and Minor online.
Students with an interest in landscape, the environment, sustainability, plant health and maintenance, design, and team work will excel in this certificate program. This area of expertise requires the coordination of several areas of expertise to plan, design, install, and maintain these unique landscape environments.
This certificate will supplement the fundamental knowledge and skills offered by undergraduate training in:
- landscape architecture
- construction management
- environmental studies
Additional career options are listed on the Center for Exploratory Studies website.
Students interested in this certificate should work with their major advisors to confirm the compatibility with their major's requirements and course schedules. Questions about the certificate should contact DAAP Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-556-1376.
- The certificate in green roofs is one of the first in North America, and its faculty are practicing experts in their fields of horticulture and landscape architecture. Students who pursue this certificate may also be interested in becoming Accredited Green Roof Professionals (GRP) with the organization Green Roofs for Healthy Cities.
PO Box 210016
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0016
Find related programs in the following interest areas:
Program Code: 23CRT-GRRF-C2