Historic Preservation Undergraduate Certificate

Certificate Requirements

The certificate program requires 18 credits and an internship to complete. Four courses comprise a required core to the program; one course must be taken in a chosen track. One additional elective course may or may not be in the chosen track, but it must be listed among the courses approved by the Advisory Committee. The course, "Introduction to Historic Preservation," is offered every spring semester, and should be taken at the earliest opportunity. The internship represents either a paid co-op with a firm or organization that engages in historic preservation work, or a volunteer effort with a non-profit preservation-oriented organization that amounts to 90 hours of service. Qualified students may substitute professional service for the internship. Students may transfer up to nine credit hours from other universities; each student's advisor will make determinations regarding transfer credits and substitutions.

For an overview of the undergraduate certificate program, click here.

Course Requirements

For undergraduate historic preservation certificate course requirements, click here.

Because not all courses are offered each term, and some only in alternate years, students are encouraged to consult the on-line course schedule for the specific courses that will be offered during the succeeding term. The University-wide "Course Descriptions" is issued annually and may be consulted for descriptions of courses that have been approved as elective courses by the Advisory Committee.


The internship offers the opportunity to gain valuable "hands-on" experience in the practice and processes of historic preservation. In consultation with their advisor, the students select an individual, group, organization, or agency whose involvement in historic preservation projects best fits their interests and goals. Internships require at least 90 hours of time that, ideally, is somewhat equally divided between instruction and the practical application of what you have learned. In addition, the student is asked to submit a brief paper on the internship experience to the advisor, who may also seek an appraisal of the student's performance from the organization. Qualified students may substitute professional service for the internship, though a paper describing the work is still required.

There are three kinds of internships: (1) professional practice (co-op) assignments, such as those in the College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning, which fulfill the requirement if significant work on a historic preservation project is obtained; (2) those with not-for-profit organizations, museums, local interest groups, etc.; and (3) those wth commercial firms doing contract work (these firms are expected to pay the student at the prevailing minimum wage).