What Is Horticulture?
Why Study Horticulture
The study of horticulture covers the growth, distribution and utilization of ornamental plants, fruits and vegetables. In courses offered by UC's College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning (DAAP), students learn the relationship between horticulture and ecological processes and develop a forward-looking approach toward the environment.
UC's bachelor of science in horticulture program is designed with the non-traditional student in mind. Classes are held evenings and weekends on UC's main campus as well as several off-campus locations.
Careers In Horticulture
Employment opportunities in the green industry include landscape management, commercial greenhouses, public and private parks management, and garden design, construction, and management!
Horticulture Minors and Certificates
- The certificate and minor in horticulture introduces students to the various fields associated with horticultural science, including plant identification, growth, health, and reproduction.
- The certificate in green roofs addresses contemporary issues in living architecture, particularly in the vegetated urban roof, which supports environmental, economic, and social components of sustainable urban design.
- The certificate in sustainable landscape design expands basic knowledge of building design and landscape design to include a sustainable, integrated approach to the design of the built environment.
- The certificate in urban agriculture responds to contemporary issues in horticulture, urban design, livability and quality of life, food security, and sustainability.
- The certificate in urban landscapes expands basic knowledge of building and landscape design to address the role of plant life in the sustainable urban environment.
Student Success Stories In Horticulture
Successful horticulture students have a love of the outdoors and a deep commitment to all things that grow. Typically, they enjoy working with their hands and have the patience to wait for results that often take a year or more to unfold. Many are entrepreneurial and study business as well as horticulture. Watch the videos below to learn more about the Horticulture Student Experience!
Apply to the DAAP Horticulture Program Today!
DAAP Student Affairs
PO Box 210016
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0016