DAAP Directory: School of Design
Heekyoung Jung is an associate professor of Interaction Design in the School of Design at University of Cincinnati. She specializes in Human-Computer Interaction Design with her PhD from Indiana University and BS and MS from Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST). She has published her studies on interactive form, materialiy, and ecosystem at International Journal of Design, Design Studies, and ACM TEI and NordiCHI. As interaction designer and researcher, she currently teaches various design studio courses focusing on streamlined and engaging information experience. Her research extends to front-end information system design for various personal and organizational contexts including warehouse, airport and hospital.
- Ph.D., Indiana University , Bloomington, IN, USA, 2011 (School of Informatics and Computing).
- MS, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Deajeon, South Korea, 2005 (Interaction Design).
- BS, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Deajeon, South Korea, 2003 (Industrial Design).
user interface, interaction, and experience design; information application/system design; research through design; prototyping for various digital media including mobile and wearable; design for wellbeing; consumer health informatics; reflective practice.
- (Collaborator), Choi, Soo-Shin; Jung, Heekyoung, Smart+Safe Lift Truck Experience, Crown Equipment. (Safe & Smart Lift Truck Experience), $60,000.00. 08/15/2013 to 04/30/2014. Status: Active.
- (PI), Jung, Heekyoung, In Flight Communication Redesign, Live Well Collaborative, Inc.. (LWC In Flight Redesign), $31,340.00. 12/01/2013 to 12/01/2014. Status: Awarded.
- (PI), Jung, Heekyoung, Design and Evaluation of an Interactive Application to Enhance Self-Reflection on the Mind and Body Association, UC's University Research Council. (URC Interdisciplinary Awards AY2016-17), $10,000.00. 05/01/2017 to 04/30/2018. Status: Active.
- Jung, H., Wiltse, H., Wiberg, M., & Stolterman, E. (2017). (In Press). Metaphors, materialities, and affordances: Hybrid morphologies in the design of interactive artifacts. Design Studies, 53, 24-46. [Link]
- Stolterman, E., Jung, H., Ryan, W., & Siegal, M. (2013). (In Press). Device Landscapes – a new challenge to interaction design and HCI research. Archives of Design Research, 26 (2), 7-33.
- Jung, H., Bardzell, S., Blevis, E., Pierce, J., & Stolterman, E. (2011). How deep is your love: deep narratives of ensoulment and heirloom status. International Journal of Design, 5 (1), 57-71. [Link]
- Jung, H., Kim, S., Chan, J., Li, Y., & Zhang, Y. (2016). (In Press). This is not a watch: Reframing the design of wrist-worn devices. Proceedings of International Conference on Design and Emotion, 322-332.
- Jung, H., & Zhou, J. (2016). Trends in mobile and wearable stress care & design implications for a culture of wellness. Proceedings of Academic Design Management Conference (ADMC), 1068-1084.
- Jung, H. (2016). An integrated approach to workplace safety and wellness: Case studies of warehouse communication system design. Society of Experiential Graphic Design (SEGD) Research Journal: Communication + Place. [Link]
- Dixon, C., Ammerman, R., Dexheimer, J., Meyer, B., Jung, H., Johnson, B., Elliott, J., Jacobs,T., Pomerantz, W., & Mahabee-Gittens, M. (2014). Development of iBsafe: A collaborative, theory-based approach to creating a mobile game application for child safety. Proceedings of the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Annual Symposium, 77-85. [Link]
- Zhang, L., & Jung, H. (2013). Simplicity by metaphor: How to apply metaphor to achieve simplicity of interaction design. Proceedings of International Association of Societies of Design Research, 1656-1667.
- Jung, H., & Stolterman, E. (2012). (In Press). Digital form & materiality: Theoretical propositions for a new approach to interaction design research. Proceedings of the Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI), 645-654. [Link]
- Jung, H., & Stolterman, E. (2011). (In Press). Material probe: exploring materiality of digital artifacts. Proceedings of International Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction (TEI), 153-156. [Link]
- Jung, H., Blevis, E., & Stolterman, E. (2010). (In Press). Conceptualizations of the materiality of digital artifacts and their implications for sustainable interaction design. Proceedings of Design Research Society (DRS) International Conference.
- Jung, H., Altieri, Y., & Bardzell, J. (2010). (In Press). SKIN: designing aesthetic interactive surfaces. Proceedings of International Conference on Tangible, Embedded and Embodied Interaction (TEI), 85-92. [Link]
- Jung, H., Stolterman, E., Ryan, W., Thompson, T., & Siegel, M. (2008). (In Press). Toward a framework for ecologies of artifacts: how are digital artifacts interconnected within a personal life? . Proceedings of the Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI), 201-210. [Link]