Dr. Samantha Krukowski joined the faculty of the School of Design at the University of Cincinnati in 2015. Since arriving, she has been instrumental in shaping the foundations curriculum for the School of Design and amplifying cross-disciplinary foundations efforts. In 2018, she co-chaired the National Conference on the Beginning Design Student (NCBDS) at DAAP, and bringing this conference to UC was one of her most significant efforts in bridging pedagogical approaches, curricular development, and foundations conversations across the College. Samantha pursued her MArch (Architecture) and PhD (Art History and Theory) at the University of Texas at Austin concurrently, finishing both degrees in six years and demonstrating her commitment to aligning history, theory and practice as well as to interdisciplinary research. Since that time, she has been on the faculty at both the University of Texas at Austin (where she developed an experimental media program for the Radio-TV-Film Department) and at Iowa State University (where she taught studios and seminars in the Department of Architecture and was heavily involved in curricular revisions for the first year CORE program.) Samantha teaches foundations studios and graduate seminars, as well as interdisciplinary courses, at the University of Cincinnati. Links between pedagogy, curriculum development and research have always informed her work: a studio she developed at Iowa State University, The Burning Man Studio, evolved into her edited volume Playa Dust: Collected Stories from Burning Man (Black Dog Publishing, 2014). She is currently working on a second edited volume about design pedagogy and foundational curricular practices that will include content from the 2018 NCBDS as well as other sources (Intellect Press, anticipated 2020.) In addition to writing, Samantha maintains an intermodal creative practice in which she explores the nature of objects and materials, the records of experience, the identity of place and the consequences of intervention. Her writing has focused on presence and absence in pictorial and spatial fields; rootedness and dislocation; utopias; time-based construction; the nature of creativity and the identity of the maker. Her experimental and painterly videos have screened at many national and international film festivals; her drawings, paintings and sculptural works have also been exhibited nationally and internationally. Originally from New York City, she has lived in St. Louis, MO, San Francisco, CA, Austin, TX, Ames, IA, and is now happy to call Cincinnati home.
- BA, Barnard College/Columbia University, New York, 1988 (Political Science).
- MA, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, 1992 (Art History).
- MArch, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, 1997 (Architecture).
- PhD, University of Texas at Austin, Texas, 1999 (Art History).
• Visual and spatial design
• Buildings, built things, installation and intervention
• Translation between modes, media, practices
• Narrative typology and structure
• Interdisciplinary research and program development
- Samantha Krukowski (2014). (In Press). Playa Dust: Collected Stories from Burning Man. London: Black Dog Publishing (Editor).
- (2014). The Burning Man Studio . Playa Dust: Collected Stories from Burning Man United Kingdom: Black Dog Publishing.
- (2014). Under the Big Top at American Steel: An Interview with Karen Cusolito. Playa Dust: Collected Stories from Burning Man United Kingdom: Black Dog Publishing.
- Samantha Krukowski (1999). Performing History: Walking Along Ulay and Abramovic’s The Lovers, PhD Dissertation . University of Texas at Austin.
- Samantha Krukowski (1992). Dubuffet and the Deculturation of Art, MA Thesis . Washington University in St. Louis.
- (2014). PayDirt . Proceedings, Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture; Fall Conference, October Halifax, NS: Dalhousie University School of Architecture.
- (2011). Burning Man: The Order of Chaos. The International Journal of the Arts in Society Champaign, IL: Common Ground Publishing.
- (2011). Rhyme Blue . Proceedings, National Conference on the Beginning Design Student (April) University of Nebraska, Lincoln College of Architecture.
- (2010). Burning Man and Black Rock City . Proceedings, Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture Northeast Conference (October) University of Hartford Department of Architecture.
- (2009). Stylistic Trials and Documentary Tribulations: Richard Avedon’s In the American West . American Suburb X – Photography and Culture.
- (2006). Program Essay . Cinematexas Catalogue, 98-99 Austin, TX: University of Texas at Austin.
- (2004). Between Canvas and Celluloid . Analecta Husserliana, LXXXI, 219-231 The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- (2003). Folded: Negotiating the Space Between Real and Virtual Worlds . SIGGRAPH Conference Abstracts and Applications New York: Association for Computing Machinery.
- (2003). Alchemical Frames . Simile, 3, 14-20.
- (2000). Hands Passing in the Light . Text, Performance, Practice, 1, 82-96 Austin, TX: University of Texas at Austin.
- (1994). John Glick: Viajes y Evoluciones . Ceramica (Spring), 79-85 Barcelona: Keramos.
- (1993). Catherine White . American Ceramics, 10 (3), 51 New York: Harry Dennis.
- (1992). John Glick: Journeys And Evolutions . Ceramics: Art And Perception (October), 35-40 Australia: Ceramic Art Gallery.
- (1991). Drama & Discontent in the work of Andy Nasisse . Ceramics: Art And Perception (October), 18-22 Australia: Ceramic Art Gallery.
- (1991). Randy Johnston: Into The 90's. Ceramics Monthly (October), middle portfolio (unpaginated) Ohio: The American Ceramic Society.
- Samantha Krukowski and Peter P. Goché (2018). (In Progress). Parallel Projections. Drawing On Edinburgh, Scotland: University of Edinburgh.
- (2013). Book Review Jennifer Shields, Collage and Architecture (Rev. of Collage and Architecture). Routledge.
- 2014. Histo-Grams. +39 Restaurant. Ames, IA.
- 2009. Samantha Krukowski - New Works. B&K Projects. Copenhagen, Denmark .
- 2009. Samantha Krukowski - Drawings, Paintings, Film, Video. University of North Carolina, Pembroke. Pembroke, NC.
- 2009. Germ Welfare. The Shore Institute of the Contemporary Arts. Long Branch, NJ .
- 2008. Hunting Art Prize Exhibition . Decorative Arts Center of Houston. Houston, TX .
- 2008. Fathom. Texas State University. San Marcos, TX .
- 2007. New Gallery Artists. Brooks Barrow Gallery. Milwaukee, WI .
- 2007. Txt Me L8R. Aurora Picture Show & Houston Center for Photography. Houston, TX .
- 2007. Summer Arts Studio Exhibition. Southern Illinois University . Edwardsville, IL .
- 2007. The Aesthetic of Complexity. Viveza Gallery. Seattle, WA .
- 2007. Hunting Art Prize Exhibition. Decorative Arts Center of Houston. Houston, TX .
- 2006. SUPERvision . Foster Gallery, Haas Art Center, University of Wisconsin . Eau-Claire, WI.
- 2006. Water. James Baird Gallery. St. Johns, NL, Canada .
- 2005. 22 to Watch: New Art in Austin. Austin Museum of Art, Dallas Museum of Contemporary Art, Galveston Art Center . Traveling exhibition - multiple locations in Texas. .
- 2005. New American Talent. Arthouse (Austin, TX), Texas A&M University (Commerce, TX), Wichita Falls Museum of Art (Wichita Falls, TX), Firehouse Art Center (Del Rio, TX), Texas A&M University (Corpus Christi, Texas). Traveling exhibition - multiple locations..
- 2005. The Art of Illness. Southern Illinois University . Edwardsville, IL.
- 2003. Taking Shape: 10 Artists Reveal Their Processes. Salina Art Center. Salina, KS .
- 2001. Refrigerated Air. dberman gallery. Austin, TX .
- 2000. Interactive Exhibition. South by Southwest (SXSW). Austin, TX .
- 1992. 3D Invitational . Stephens College, Columbia, MO Faust Park Folk Festival, St. Louis, MO .
- 1988. Textural Connections . Columbia University. New York, NY .
- 2016. ArtSci. National Cheng Kung University Gallery. Tainan City, Taiwan.
- DAAP. 2015. New Faculty Exhibition. Meyers Gallery. University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2016. Better than Art. Modern Makers. Cincinnati, OH.
- 2016. Tactile Abstraction. University of Cincinnati Blue Ash Art Gallery. Cincinnati, OH.
- 2016. Style+Sustainability. Modern Makers. Cincinnati, OH.
- 2017. fermeuse. University of Manitoba. Winnipeg, Canada.
- 2007. Artist-in-Residence. Department of Art, Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. .
- 2005. Artist-in-Residence. The Pouch Cove Foundation, Newfoundland, Canada. .
- 2001. Artist-in-Residence. Santa Fe Art Institute, Digital to Analog Workshop. .
- 2001. Artist-in-Residence. Interactive Institute. Umea, Sweden .
- 2000. Visiting Artist. Banff Centre for the Arts, New Media Institute. Banff, Canada .
Curation of Exhibitons
- 1992. 100 Cups. Pro-Art Gallery. St. Louis, MO .
- 1991. Evolutions in Contemporary American Ceramics . St. Louis Art Museum. St. Louis, MO .
- 1990. Bruce Gholson/Silvie Granatelli: Two Virginia Potters. Pro-Art Gallery. St. Louis, MO .
- 1990. Sandy Simon: Functional Porcelain. Pro-Art Gallery. St. Louis, MO .
- 1990. Ron Meyers' Painted Ceramics. Pro-Art Gallery. St. Louis, MO .
- 1990. Randy Johnston: Functional Ceramics. Pro-Art Gallery. St. Louis, MO .
- 1990. Michael Simon: Salt-Fired Ware. Pro-Art Gallery. St. Louis, MO .
- 1989. Willem Gebben: Pots for Use. Pro-Art Gallery. St. Louis, MO .
- 1989. Kathey Ervin: Majolica. Pro-Art Gallery. St. Louis, MO .
- 2009. Logo, Design and Branding Development.
- 2007. Business card. Blue Moon – Integrative Massage. Austin, TX .
- 2007. Postcards. Vino Vino. Austin, TX .
- 2006. T-Shirt Design for Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, Austin Affiliate. .
- 2006. Logo and website development for The Pouch Cove Foundation. Pouch Cove, Newfoundland .
- 2005. Cover Illustration for PLoS Medicine, December . Public Library of Science. .
- 2005. Cover Illustration for PLoS Medicine, December . Public Library of Science. .
- CD Cover for The Composer in the Computer Age IX, CDCM Computer Music Series Volume 34. Novell Group. .
- 2001. Poster and Postcards for the Convergent Media Lecture Series. Department of Radio-Television-Film, University of Texas at Austin. .
- 2010. House Renovation. Ames, IA .
- 2001. House Addition . Austin, TX .
- 2000. Private Residence . Manchaca, TX .
- 2000. Design Consultant. Department of Radio-Television-Film, University of Texas at Austin.
Honors & Awards
- Raymond G. and Lula G. Polster Teaching Award, College of Design, Iowa State University, 2013.
- Humanities Institute Faculty Fellowship, University of Texas Humanities Institute, 2008.
- Dean’s Fellowship, College of Communication, University of Texas at Austin , 2003.
- Outstanding Assistant Instructor/Teaching Assistant, Department of Art & Art History, University of Texas at Austin, 1999.
- M.K. Hague Endowed Scholarship, School of Architecture, University of Texas at Austin, 1997 to 1998.
- William S. Livingston Fellowship, The University of Texas at Austin, 1995. Livingston Fellowships are awarded annually to a small group of graduate students selected from those who are awarded University Continuing Fellowships. In 1995 there were 8 Livingston Fellows chosen from a group of 80 graduate students representing all university departments. .
- Bartlett Cocke Sr. Scholarship, School of Architecture, University of Texas at Austin, 1994.
Experience & Service
- 2015 to Present, Associate Professor and Academic Coordinator for Foundations, School of Design, College of Design, Architecture, Art and Planning , University of Cincinnati.
- 2010 to 2015, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Architecture, College of Design, Iowa State University.
- 2001 to 2009, Assistant Professor, Experimental Media, Film and Video Production Area, Department of Radio-TV-Film, University of Texas at Austin.
- 2000 to 2001, Lecturer, Digital Media, Film and Video Production Area, Department of Radio-TV-Film, University of Texas at Austin.
- 1992 to 1993, Lecturer, Art History, Department of Art History, Washington University in St. Louis.
- 1992Lecturer, Art History, Department of Art, Webster University, St. Louis, MO.
- 1997Co-Founder, Austin Museum of Digital Art, Austin, TX.
- 1993Research Assistant, Departments of Decorative Arts & Arts of Africa and Oceania, The St. Louis Art Museum.
- 1989 to 1991, Editorial Director,, Pro-Art Gallery, St. Louis, MO.
- Conference. National Conference on the Beginning Design Student (03/01/2018 to 03/03/2018) , DAAP, University of Cincinnati.
- 2014 Iowa Barn Foundation Magazine (Spring).
- 2014 Lady Gaga Lovers: The 10 Best Little Monsters Costumes Minneapolis City Pages, May 21.
- 2011 At Burning Man, Students and Their Professor Enjoy Freedom Amid the Flames Iowa State Daily, August 29, 2011.
- 2010 Iowa State on the Playa Burning Man Information Radio.
- 07/25/2010 ISU Students Hold Class at Burning Man Iowa Times Republican and Reno Globe Gazette.
- 07/24/2010 Iowa College Students Hold Class at Burning Man Westport News, Chicago Tribune, and Las Vegas Sun.
- 07/18/2010 Iowa College Class Brings Projects to Burning Man Festival Reno Gazette Journal.
- 07/08/2010 Class on Burning Man Architecture Offered at Iowa State University Jack Rabbit Speaks, Volume 14, Issue 22, .
- 07/08/2010 Design Class Prepares Art for Burning Man Festival The Ames Tribune.
- 07/07/2010 Burning Man Festival Challenges Art Students Iowa State Daily.
- 2010 Summer Studio Takes Students on Transformative Journey Burning Man Festival Design Notes: from the College of Design, Volume 3, Issue 3, Fall 2010.
- 2010 ISU Architecture Studio on a Transformative Journey to the Burning Man Festival Iowa State University News Service.