DAAP Directory: School of Architecture and Interior Design
Title: Assistant Professor in DAAP-SAID & CAES-CAECM
Office: 791 Rhodes Hall
Dr. Julian (Jialiang) Wang, who is also appointed as an assistant professor in CAECM-Architectural Engineering in the College of Engineering and Applied Science, received his Ph.D. in architecture from Texas A&M University and the first doctoral degree in engineering from Tianjin University, China. Before joining UC, Wang taught building technology in Missouri University Science and Technology and also worked at the Environmental Energy Technologies Division of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
Wang has been educated as an architect, engineer, and researcher, which enables him to explore the integrated approach and design-oriented research for building sustainability. His teaching and research focus on built environmental technology and its integration into the design process. His recent research projects are funded by the NSF, EPA, AIA, NIST, and NSF China. He is also the recipient of a few fellowships and awards, such as TAMU-OGS Dissertation Award, ThinkSwiss Research Fellowship, and IESNA Young Professionals Fund.
In addition, he serves as an editorial board member in the journal of Technology | Architecture + Design (TAD) and also scientific committee for several international conferences (PLEA, ACE, JCCME) in the field of sustainable building design and technology.
- Ph.D. in Architecture, Texas A&M University, 2014.
- Dr.Eng in Building Science, Tianjin University, 2011.
His research agenda has been focused on sustainable built environments in recent years. The topics include smart buildings and envelopes, daylighting and windows, performance-based design and analysis, and biomimicry for building sustainability. He is particularly interested in the multidisciplinary approach to sustainable design which combines experimental works on building technologies, computational modeling and simulation, and user-ended data sensing and processing.
- Co-PI, First Responder Indoor Location Using LTE Direct Mode Operations and BIM, NIST PSCR. $398,869. 08/01/2017 to 07/31/2019. Status: Active.
- PI, Tailored Energy Feedbacks to Promote Household Energy Saving Behaviors, UC AHSS (Level II). $30,000. 07/01/2017 to 12/31/2019. Status: Active.
- PI, Sensible Home: Micro-environmental Control through Wearable Personal Sensor, Environmental Protection Agency-Phase II. $75,000. 01/01/2017 to 12/31/2018. Status: Active.
- Co-PI, The Photothermal Effects of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles on Energy Efficient Windows, NSF CMMI. $349,948. 08/01/2016 to 07/31/2019. Status: Active.
- PI, Sensible Home: Micro-environmental Control through Wearable Personal Sensor , EPA - Phase I. $15,000. 11/01/2015 to 10/31/2016. Status: Completed.
- PI, Integrating BIM into Biomimicry for Sustainable Design, AIA / BSA. $10,000. 01/01/2011 to 12/31/2011. Status: Completed.
- PI, Study on Bioclimatic Features of Bio-inspired Kinetic Envelopes Based on Parametric Methods of BIM, NSF-China. ~ $37,332. 01/01/2013 to 12/31/2015. Status: Completed.