DAAP Directory: School of Architecture and Interior Design
Title: Associate Director, Associate Professor
Office: 7210E Daa Addition
Jeff Tilman researches and writes on the history of American architecture between the Civil War and World War II. He has recently published Arthur Brown Jr., Progressive Classicist, a monograph on the classically-oriented architect of San Francisco City Hall and part of the Federal Triangle in Washington, D.C. He also continues to research the influence of the French Ecole des Beaux-Arts on American art and design, and on issues that illustrate the difference between the American and European Modern movements. Professor Tilman's interest in historical preservation stems from a conviction that preservation is a part of architectural practice, and that no work of architecture is fully successful unless it addresses its pre-existing social, political, physical, and historic context. His preservation experiences range from a study of rural preservation issues in Central Virginia to historical advising on the restoration of San Francisco City Hall.
Historic Preservation American Urbanism History of Architecture and Environmental Design
- Jeffrey T. Tilman (2012). “Sustainability in the Adaptive Reuse Studio: A Case Study in Cincinnati’s Over-the-Rhine Historic District". Preservation Education & Research, 5, 59-74.
- Cynthia Field and Jeffrey Tilman (2004). “Creating a Model for the National Mall: The Design of the National Museum of Natural History". JSAH, 63 (1), 52-73.
- Jeffrey Tilman (2003). “The Houses of Newmarket Plantation: Five Generations of Building in Virginia". Arris, 33-59.
- Jeffrey T. Tilman (2006). Arthur Brown, Jr.: Progressive Classicist. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Melanie Besio and Jeffrey Tilman (1997). "Space Administration". In Melanie Besio (Eds.), Facilities Management: A Manual for Plant Administration New York: Association of Physical Plant Administrators of Universities and Colleges.
Electronic Journal Articles
- Jeffrey T. TIlman (2011). “Historic Preservation for Architecture Students". Preservation Architect, 2011 (Spring).
- Jeffrey T. TIlman (2004). “Historicism,” “City Hall,” “Subway,” “Panama-Pacific International Exposition,” “Exposition Universelle 1900,” “Las Vegas.” . Encyclopedia of Twentieth Century Architecture
Presentations & Lectures
- Jeffrey T. Tilman (01-1999). "The People's Center: The Design and Construction of San Francisco City Hall." Inaugural Address Celebrating the Reopening of San Francisco City Hall San Francisco City Hall, San Francisco.
- Jeffrey T. Tilman (05-2014). Classicism in Progressive-Era San Francisco Disney Family Museum, San Francisco.
- Jeffrey T. Tilman (02-2014). Palladianism in the Anglosphere Cincinnati Public Library, Cincinnati.
- Jeffrey T. Tilman (10-2011). “The Theory of the Grand Ensemble.” Open Spaces—The Annual Conference of the Latrobe Chapter, Society of Architectural Historians, Washington, DC, 2011.. Annual Conference of the Latrobe Chapter of the SAH, Washington, DC.
- Jeffrey T. Tilman (04-2009). “Green Urban Rehabilitation Programs: The Case of Cincinnati’s Over-the-Rhine”. First International Conference on Sustainability and Restoration/Renovation of Buildings, Tornino, Italy.
- Jeffrey T. Tilman (10-2008). “Greening Over-the-Rhine: An Interdisciplinary Investigation into Sustainable Historic Rehabilitation.” . Fortieth Meeting of the Association of Preservation Technology International, Montreal, Quebec.
- Jeffrey T. Tilman (04-2005). “Kilts on the Barbary Coast: Scottish Architects in San Francisco 1860-1890.” . Fifty-Eighth Annual Meeting of the Society of Architectural Historians, Vancouver, BC.
- Jeffrey T. Tilman (04-2003). “Design-Build on the Fast-Track: Bakewell & Brown’s San Francisco City Hall” . Fifty-Sixth Annual Meeting of the Society of Architectural Historians, Denver, Colorado.
- Jeffrey T. Tilman (04-2007). "Architectural Professionalism in the Third Republic: The École des Beaux-Arts 1870-1914." . Fiftieth Annual Meeting of the Society of Architectural Historians,, Baltimore, Maryland.
Experience & Service
- Prof. Meeting. Sixty-First Annual Meeting of the Society of Architectural Historians (04/25/2008 to 04/29/2008) , Cincinnati.
- State of California, License to Practice Architecture 1991