Anton C Harfmann
Title: Interim Coordinator of Architectural Engineering
Office: 765BA Baldwin Hall
Anton Harfmann is a licensed architect and builder who teaches BIM, construction and structures, and graduate studio courses in the School of Architecture and Interior Design at the University of Cincinnati where he also served as Associate Dean for Technology and Facilities in the College of DAAP from 2004 to 2014. He was the lead faculty member for the University’s participation in the 2007 Solar Decathlon competition and has taught net-zero design studios on several occasions since. His research interests include net-zero architectural design as well as Building Information Modeling (BIM) at the component level and he has published many papers on this approach since the early 1990s. He is an early adopter of computing in practice and education that was recognized by Apple who inducted him into the Apple Distinguished Educator program in 2004. His commitment to teaching has also been recognized by the American Institute of Architects who named him one of the top ten educators in architecture in 2009 as well as receiving an honorable mention award from the AIA’s Technology in Practice group in 2013 for his introductory class on teaching the logic of construction and structures through BIM.
- M.Arch, SUNY Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, 1981 (Architecture).
Construction Technology Computer Modeling/Digital Construction Architectural Databases Electronic Technology in Architecture
- Anton C. Harfmann and Jason Heikenfeld (2013). (In Press). Smart Light: Enhanced Fenestration to Improve Solar Distribution in Buildings. Proceedings of the 8th Energy Forum on Solar Building Skins.
- Anton C. Harfmann (2012). (In Press). Building relationships; Linking detailed solar collection data to a parametric model for accurate performance analysis throughout the design process.. International Journal of Architecture, Engineering and C0nstruction, Volume 1 (Issue 1), 37. [Link]
- Anton C. Harfmann (2014). (In Press). COMPONENT-BASED BIM: A Comprehensive, Detailed, Single Model Strategy . In Karen Kensek and Douglas Noble (Eds.), Building Information Modeling: BIM in Current and Future Practice (pp.Chapter 14, page 187). New Jersey: WIley.
Electronic Journal Articles
- Anton C. Harfmann (2012). (In Press). Linking detailed solar collection data to a parametric model for accurate performance analysis throughout the design process. International Journal of Architectural, Engineering and Construction,, Volume 1 (Issue 1).
Honors & Awards
- Building Relationships, American Institute of Architects, 2013. Honorable Mention: American Institute of Architects Technology And Practice 2013 BIM Award.