DAAP Directory: School of Planning
Conrad Christiaan Kickert
Title: Assistant Professor
Office: Daa Addition
Conrad Kickert is an Assistant Professor of Urban Design. Dr. Kickert has a background in urbanism and architecture from the TU Delft (Netherlands) and holds a PhD in architecture from the University of Michigan. He has worked as an urban researcher and designer for various design offices, property developers and non-profit organizations in The Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the United States. He is an urban design scholar whose research focuses on urban morphology, downtown revitalization and the bridge between urban form, configuration and retail economics. Currently, he is studying the histories of downtown Detroit and The Hague, focusing on their relationship between buildings and public space.
- PhD (Architecture), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2014 (Urban design studies of downtown Detroit and The Hague).
- MSc (Urbanism), TU Delft, Delft, Netherlands, 2007 (Urban Design).
- BSc (Architecture), TU Delft, Delft, Netherlands, 2004 (Urbanism).
- (Collaborator), Hollstein, Leah; Kickert, Conrad, Mayors' Institute on City Design, American Architectural Foundation. (MICD 2015), $50,000.00. 08/10/2015 to 12/31/2015. Status: Awarded.
- (PI), Kickert, Conrad, The downtown that never was - past, present and promises of Detroit's urban core, UC's University Research Council. (URC AHSS Faculty Stipend Awards AY2015-16), $6,000.00. 05/01/2016 to 04/30/2017. Status: Active.
- Psarra, Kickert, Pluviano (2013). Paradigm Lost- Industrial and Post Industrial Detroit: an analysis of the street network and its social and economic dimensions from 1796 to the present. Urban Design International, 18, 257.
- Van der Spek, Kickert, van Langelaar (2013). Evidence-based design: satellite positioning studies of city centre user groups. Proceedings of the ICE: Urban Design and Planning, 166 (4), 206.
- Kickert, Berghauser-Pont, Nefs (2014). Surveying density, spatial characteristics and development potential of station areas in the Delta Metropolis. Environment and Planning B, 41 (1), 69.
- Kickert (2016). Active centers – interactive edges: The rise and fall of ground floor frontages. Urban Design International, 21 (55-77).
- Kickert (2006). Spuikwartier The Hague. In Bekkering et al. (Eds.), Architecture Annual 2006-2007 Rotterdam: 010 publishers.
- Kickert, Evans (2008). Vital and viable towns. In O'Rourke et al. (Eds.), RUDI Placemaking 2007-2008 London: RUDI.
- Kickert (2012). Pro-cyclisch ontwerpen. AGORA Magazine, 26 (4), 7 Amsterdam.
- Kickert (2012). Learning from Europe. S+RO Magazine, 3, 42 The Hague: NIROV.
Presentations & Lectures
- Kickert (2006). The urban shopping arcade EU Interreg III Spatial Metro Conference, Delft, Netherlands.
- Kickert (2010). Active spaces - attractive spaces Walk21 conference, The Hague, Netherlands.
- Psarra, Kickert (2011). Mapping centrality in Detroit International seminar on urban form, Montreal, Canada.
- Psarra, Kickert (2012). Centrality and meaning in Detroit 1795-2011 Space Syntax Seminar 8, Santiago, Chile.
- Kickert (2012). Urban morphology and development capacity of station areas in the Delta Metropolis International seminar on urban form, Delft, Netherlands.
- Kickert, Fishman (2013). Mapping the American Streetcar Suburb: a history of transit oriented development SACRPH Conference, Toronto, Canada.
- Kickert (2014). Form follows function - morphological and functional change in The Hague and Detroit 1911-2011 International seminar on urban form, Porto, Portugal.
Honors & Awards
- Reed Mallik Medal, British Institute of Civil Engineers, 2014. Awarded for the best paper in urban design of 2014..