PhD in Urban and Regional Planning Faculty
Title: Associate Professor
Office: 6280A Daa Addition
Carla Chifos, Ph.D.,AICP, has interests that include sustainable development, urban environment and international development. Her dissertation research was "Urban neighborhoods and the natural environment: examples from the city of Jakarta". This work was the culmination of three years in Indonesia with funding from the United States Agency for International Development and close collaborations with the Ministry for National Planning. She has continued specializing in Southeast Asia and has carried out research on urban environmental and community development issues in Indonesia as well as in Thailand. Her forthcoming book, co-edited with Ruth Yabes, entitled Southeast Asian Urban Environments: Spontaneous and Structured, will highlight some of her research findings. In addition to this international focus, Dr. Chifos is also pursuing research in the area of sustainable development and how it applies to urban and community development in US cities. The results of her research are being applied to her courses, both seminar and workshop formats, to integrate the concepts of sustainable development, livable communities, smart growth, and eco-cities, into urban and community planning. With relation to these topics she has tried to integrate out-of-class experiences for the students. For example, students in her course "Sustainable Development and the City" attended the "National Town Meeting for Sustainable Development" which was sponsored by the President&39;s Council for Sustainable Development in Detroit, May 1999 and went to Lexington, Kentucky to learn about and see the results of the growth management strategies of Fayette County.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 1980 (Major: Environment Health Engineering Minor: Eastern European and Soviet Studies).
- Master of Community Planning, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1988 (Urban Planning Concentrations: Environmental Planning and Economic Development Thesis: "Development of a Framework for the Description of the Natural Environment for Use in the Environmental Assessment: With Emphasis on the Environmental Impact Computer System").
- Ph.D., Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, 1996 (Field of City and Regional Planning Major: Urban and Regional Development Minors: Resource Economics, Quantitative Methods/Policy Analysis Dissertation: "Urban Neighborhoods and the Natural Environment: Examples from the City of Jakarta, Indonesia).
Sustainable Development, Climate Change, Cultural Landscapes
- (PI), Chifos, Carla; Romanos, Michael, City of LaGrange Kentucky Economic Development Plan, LaGrange (City of), Ky. (DCA-EDP), $12,000.00. 01/03/2011 to 03/31/2013. Status: Active.
- (PI), Chifos, Carla; Sorial, George, Application of the PLACES Program to a Community, Environmental Protection Agency. (EP-C-11-006/PEG1-53 UC), $49,127.00. 09/30/2011 to 01/15/2013. Status: Active.
PhD in Urban
about the PhD in Urban and Regional Planning
School of Planning