Master of Community Planning Faculty
Johanna W Looye
Title: Associate Professor
Office: 6207 Daa Addition
Johanna Looye has over thirty-five years of experience in Latin American development. Her work in Brazil includes studies of small business in Ceará and throughout the Northeast. She has also conducted research on urban environmental issues in the City of Rio de Janeiro and in 1999 she was awarded a Senior Fulbright Fellowship to teach and conduct research at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro. Dr. Looye has worked on micro-and small-business development in Brazil, Thailand (handicrafts and sustainable development), Crete (alternative economic development for Hersonissos), and the U.S. In Cincinnati, Looye has served on the Board of Directors for the Cincinnati Business Incubator. She has also worked with the City of Cincinnati to identify local capacity for developing microenterprises and with Smart Money Community Services to develop a 12-week training program for aspiring entrepreneurs from Over-the-Rhine and the Findlay Market area. Dr. Looye teaches urban and regional theory, international development planning and economic development, primarily at the graduate level. She also teaches quantitative and research methods.
- Ph.D., Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, 1994 (Urban and Regional Theory; Rural Developmant; Latin American Studies).
- M.R.P. (Master of Regional Planning), Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, 1985 (Regional Planning).
- B.A., Grinnell College, Grinnell, Iowa, 1979 (Spanish; Latin American Studies Concentration).
Urban and Regional Theory International Development Planning Local Economic Development Quantitative and Research Methods
- (PI), Looye, Johanna, A Joint Consortium for the Transatlantic Study of Design, Planning and Urbanism, Department of Education. (P116J020017), $200,191.00. 10/01/2002 to 09/30/2007. Status: Closed.
- (PI), Looye, Johanna, Assessment of Microenterprise Development Potential in Over-the Rhine, Ohio Board of Regents. (65x1054-01), $30,000.00. 07/01/1997 to 06/30/2000. Status: Closed.
- (PI), Edelman, David; Looye, Johanna, Urban Sustainability and the Built Environment: A US Brazil Consortium, Department of Education. (P116M080008), $219,806.00. 08/01/2008 to 07/31/2013. Status: Active.
- (Collaborator), Auffrey, Christopher; Honadle, Beth; Looye, Johanna; Vomhofe, Rainer; Zapata, Marisa, An External Evaluation of the Strong Economies Together (SET) Initiative, Department of Agriculture. (018000-340452-02/ RBS1039), $100,000.00. 05/01/2011 to 08/31/2013. Status: Active.
- Chifos, Carla, and Johanna W. Looye, “The Handicraft Sector in Chiang Mai: Its Role in Sustainable Urban Development.” In M. Romanos and C. Auffrey (eds.) Managing Intermediate Size Cities: Sustainable Development in a Growth Region of Thailand. Boston, Kluwer, 2002.
- Preiser, Wolfgang F.E., Johanna W. Looye and David G. Saile. “Introduction,” in Professional Practice in Facility Programming, Wolfgang F.E. Preiser, ed. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold Publishers, 1993.
- Looye, Johanna W. “Real vs. Ideal and the Brazilian Jeitinho: A Study of Microenterprise Registry Under the New Microenterprise Statute.” In Beyond Regulation: The Informal Economy in Latin America, ed. Victor Tokman, 109-139. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner, 1992.
- Looye, Johanna W. “Real versus Ideal y el Jeitinho Brasileño: Un Estudio del Registro de Microempresas Bajo el Nuevo Estatuto de Microempresas.” In Más Allá de la Regulación: El sector informal en América Latina, ed. Victor Tokman, 127-166. Santiago, Chile: PREALC, 1991.
- Looye, Johanna W. and Norman Uphoff. Local Institutional Development for Non-Agricultural Enterprise. Ithaca, NY: Rural Development Committee, Cornell University, 1986. Also appears as Chapter 6 and Annex 6 in Norman Uphoff, Local Institutional Development, West Hartford, Connecticut: Kumarian, 1986, pp. 162-187 and 322-333.
- Lemos, Maria Carmen de Mello and Johanna W. Looye. “Looking for Sustainability: Environmental Coalitions across the State-Society Divide.” Bulletin of Latin American Research 22 no. 3 (July 2003): 350-370.
- Fisher, Bonnie and Johanna W. Looye. “Crime and Small Businesses in the Midwest: An Examination of Overlooked Issues in the United States.” Security Journal 13 no. 1 (2000): 45-72. (Originally accepted for publication in International Journal of Risk, Security and Crime Prevention, which was purchased by the publisher of Security Journal. The two journals were merged right after this paper was accepted by the JRSCP editor.)
- Looye, Johanna W. “Supporting Small-Scale Manufacturing in Developing Countries: Lessons from the Metalworking Sector in Ceará, Brazil.” Third World Planning Review 20 no. 1 (1998): 53-85.
- Looye, Johanna W. and Abdul Sesay. “Introducing Gender and Diversity into the Planning Curriculum: A Methodology for Department-Wide Implementation.” The Journal of Planning Education and Research 18 no. 2 (Winter 1998): 161-170.
- Apostolides, Vasso and Johanna W. Looye. “Student Assessment of the Co-op Experience and Optimum Integration of Classroom Learning with Professional Practice.” The Journal of Cooperative Education 23 no. 3 (Spring 1997): 16-30.
- Apostolides, Vasso and Johanna W. Looye. “Developing Co-op Syllabi Sensitive to Both Academic Curricula and Employer Needs.” The Journal of Cooperative Education 23 no. 3 (Spring 1997): 56-69.
- University of Miami North-South Center. “Policy Proposals on the Environment and Sustainable Development.” In Advancing the Miami Process: Civil Society and the Summit of the Americas, ed. Robin Rosenberg and Steve Stein, 341-350. Miami, FL: North-South Center Press, 1995. Co-authored chapter. Previously published as “The Environment and Sustainable Development,” policy proposals developed at the Pre-Summit of the Americas Workshop for consideration by Latin American and Caribbean heads of state at the Summit of the Americas in early December. Kingston, October 23-25, 1994. Sponsored by North-South Center, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida and University of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica.
Experience & Service
- 1998 to Present, Associate Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 1990 to 1998, Assistant Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2009 to Present, Affiliate Faculty, Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 1994 to Present, Member, All-University Graduate Faculty, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2005 to Present, Affiliate Faculty: Latin American Studies, Asian Studies, Human Rights Certificate Programs, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 1988Instructor: Organizacao Industrial: Industrializacao, O Setor Informal e Desenvolvimento Regional, CAEN (Master's Program In Economics). Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza, Brazil.
- Urban and Regional Theory
Urban and Regional Theory
- Methods of Research for Planners
Methods of Research for Planners
- Film and the Global Village
Film and the Global Village
- Global Perspectives in Urban Planning
Global Perspectives in Urban Planning
- Peace Corps Practicum
Peace Corps Practicum
- Peace Corps Practicum 1
Peace Corps Practicum 1
Master of Community Planning
for the Master of Community
Additional Educational Opportunities
through the School of Planning