The University of Cincinnati will cancel all classes on the Uptown and Medical campuses at 11:00 a.m. today including all classes in session at that time. Offices on these campuses also will close at 11:00 a.m. More Information
Urban Planning Faculty
Title: Professor - School of Planning
Office: 6213 Daa Addition
Dr. Jan Marie Fritz, a Certified Clinical Sociologist (C.C.S.), is a professor in the School of Planning and a senior research scholar with the Centre for Sociological Research at the University of Johannesburg (South Africa). Professor Fritz is president (2010-2014) of the clinical sociology division of the International Sociological Association (an NGO based in Madrid, Spain) and also a member of the International Sociological Association's executive board. She is the organization's main representative to the United Nations in New York City. Professor Fritz is a commissioner for the Commission on the Accreditation of Applied and Clinical Sociology Programs and a consultant and reviewer for academic departments for the American Sociological Association's Department Resources Group (DRG).
Professor Fritz has been a mediator and facilitator for more than twenty years and has been a mediator of special education cases for the Kentucky Department of Education since 2006. She was a member of the Research/Health Subcommittee of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's National Environmental Justice Council (three years) and worked at the U.S Department of Health and Human Services (four years).
Professor Fritz was awarded the Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Human Rights and International Studies in 2011 for work at the Human Rights Institute in Copenhagen, Denmark. She also was awarded a 2011 grant from the American Scandinavian Foundation to support work in Sweden and Norway about their revised/updated national action plans for women, peace and security. In 2011, Professor Fritz also received the Ohio Mediation Association's annual award - the Better World Award. In 2010, she was awarded the American Sociological Association's Distinguished Career Award for the Practice of Sociology. Many years ago she also was awarded the Sociological Practice Association's Distinguished Career Award
Professor Fritz is the editor of International Clinical Sociology and six editions of The Clinical Sociology Resource Book. She is the author or editor of more than 100 publications, and her work on mediation, environmental justice and clinical sociology has appeared in French, Spanish, Portuguese, Ukrainian, Greek and Italian. Professor Fritz has received a Stanley Foundation Fellowship in Human Rights, a Kellogg Foundation Leadership Fellowship and an Ohio Campus Compact fellowship in Service Learning.
- B.A., Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio, 1964.
- M.A. in Sociology, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1970.
- Ph.D. in Sociology, American University, Washington, D.C., 1978.
Social intervention/Clinical sociology Conflict Analysis and Intervention (particularly mediation, facilitation, coaching) Organizational Development Health Promotion Policy Analysis Cultural Competency Inequality/Justice Issues Qualitative Research
- (PI), Fritz, Jan, Service Learning and Organizational Theory, Corporation for National and Community Service. (97LHEIN015), $2,000.00. 11/01/1999 to 06/30/2000. Status: Closed.
Experience & Service
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
- International Sociological Association; Research Committee 08/ History of Sociology, Research Committee 26/ Sociotechnics and Sociological Practice, Research Committee 32/ Women in Society, Research Committee 46/ Clinical Sociology
- Thematic Group3/Human Rights and Global Justice,
- Association for Conflict Resolution; Sections:Education, Environment and Public Policy
- International, Ombuds/Ombudsman, and workplace
- American Sociological Association; Sections:Sociological Practice and Public Sociology
- History of Sociology; Peace, War and Social Conflict; Human Rights; Disabilities; Sex and Gender
- Women in International Security
- Association for Applied and Clinical Sociology
- Association for Humanist Sociology
- The Ohio Mediation Association
- The Mediation Council of Greater Cincinnati
- American Planning Association
- International Institute of Sociology
- South African Sociological Association
- National Women Studies Association
- Charity and Security Network