Skip to main content

SOP by the Numbers

Performance indicators as defined by the Planning Accreditation Board

In the past years the Planning Accreditation Board revised its standards and requires schools to disseminate specific metrics via the school’s websites. The data below come from a variety of sources including an alumni survey conducted in 2013 and university records.

Student Retention and Graduation Rates
Within a six year period for the Urban Planning (BUP) program the graduation rate is 83.3% for true freshmen. Because the BUP program is a five year program, 12% of our students transfer in from other UC programs. It is not uncommon to take more than six years from the start of undergraduate studies.

While looking at fall-to-fall retention, the Urban Planning (BUP) program has retained 78.4% of its population. Of the remaining 21.6% not retained, only 1.08% did not graduate from the program.

The overwhelming majority of Master of Community Planning students in the last five years have graduated in the stipulated two years. Of 181 students enrolled in that period, 153 have graduated on time. That is 85%. Another 14 or 8% have graduated in three years, so that 169 of 181 students who matriculated in the five-year period or 93% have graduated within three years. There is no doubt that the two year course of study is appropriate.

In the last five years, 181 students have entered the Master of Community Planning program and 18 have left early. That is a retention rate of 90%. Over the previous 11 years, however, 387 students entered the program and 83 did not earn a degree. That is a retantion rate of 79%. Consequently, the retention rate has improved in the last five years. A review of School of Planning records indicate that all minority students enrolled in the last five years have graduated, including all Yates recipients.

Tuition and Fees
For information about the cost of attending SoP, please visit the UC financial aid office. In addition to the financial aid described on the site, SoP offers a limited number of scholarships and assistantships for highly qualified students.

Employment Rate
In the last six years, 79 percent of BUP and 72 percent of MCP students found work within 12 months of graduation in a planning related field.

 

Time to employment – 2013 and 2016 Alumni Surveys

EMPLOYMENT STATUS

ALL

%

BUP

%

MCP

%

BOTH

%

I accepted a position prior to graduation

48

36%

25

42%

20

29%

3

38%

< 3 months

29

22%

13

22%

14

20%

2

25%

3-6 months

19

14%

8

13%

9

13%

2

25%

7-12 months

8

6%

1

2%

7

10%

0

0%

>18 months

9

7%

4

7%

5

7%

0

0%

I did not find work in planning or planning related field

19

14%

4

7%

7

10%

1

13%

TOTAL

132

 

55

 

62

 

8

 

   

Students find work in a range of organizations including government, for-profit, and non-profit organizations.

 

Organization Classification - 2013 and 2016 Alumni Surveys

       
 

ALL

%

BUP

%

MCP

%

BUP/ MCP

%

Government

57

48%

26

51%

28

47%

3

43%

For Profit

36

31%

19

37%

14

23%

3

43%

Non Profit

25

21%

6

12%

18

30%

1

14%

TOTAL

118

 

51

 

60

 

7

 

   

Students also work across a variety of specializations. The table below reflects the top specializations. Take into consideration that the survey respondents were able to select all areas of Planning that applied to their current position. Therefore, the numbers reflect their ability to select multiple answers.

 

Areas of Planning – 2013 and 2016 Alumni Surveys

Combined BUP/MCP

Land use and transportation

43

16%

Comprehensive or long-range planning

40

15%

Economic development and revitalization

41

15%

Urban design

22

8%

Zoning Adminstration

27

10%

Community development

50

19%

Natural resources, and the environment

19

7%

Policy planning

25

9%

 

Student Achievement
SoP students find jobs in the planning field at the local, state, and federal level. Recent alumni are working at the City of Cincinnati as well as the Agency for International Development. Others are attending top graduate programs at University of Pennsylvania and University of Southern California. Students are also encouraged to publish research and work conducted during their programs.  

 

AICP Exam Pass Rate
For the period from May 2006 to May 2015, a total of 40 BUP graduates completed the AICP Exam within five years of graduation. The pass rate for this group was 82.5 percent.

For the same period May 2006 to May 2015, a total of 72 MCP graduates completed the AICP Exam within five years of graduation. The exam pass rate for this group was 85 percent.