School of Design Directory
Todd F Timney
Title: Assistant Professor
Office: 4422 Aronoff Center
Todd Timney is a communication design practioner, educator, and researcher in the areas of typography, brand identity, package design, visual symbol systems, and human-centered design research methodologies. He has been a faculty member in the School of Design at the University of Cincinnati since 2010.
Prior to his tenure-track appointment at UC, Todd had been an Adjunct Professor or Visiting Professor at several institutions including: The Ohio State University, Virginia Commonwealth University, and University of Hartford. He was also a Senior Designer at The Wexner Center for the Arts, and a Designer at Jager Di Paola Kemp Design (JDK) in Burlington, Vermont where he worked on projects for Burton Snowboards, Merrell Footwear, Eastpak/Jansport, and Anon Optics.
With over 15 years of professional experience, Todd's work has been recognized regionally and nationally for its excellence by professional organizations including the International Council of Communication Design (ICOGRADA) and the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA), Columbus Society of Communication Arts (CSCA) and Connecticut Art Director's Club (CADC).
- Master of Fine Art, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, 2007 (Visual Communication Design).
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, University of Hartford, Hartford Art School, West Hartford, Connecticut, 1997 (Graphic Design).
Todd Timney's academic research concerns information design — the creation and study of the visual form leading to increased audience understanding. Currently Professor Timney is collaborating with Cincinnati Children's Hospital's Gamble Center for Clincial Studies on a patient-centered approach to improving medical health literacy. Four areas have emerged from this collaboration: 1) Improving Understanding of the Assent and Consent Process and Document Through User-Journey Mapping and Image/Text Integration 2) Improving the Patient's Understanding of Their Clinical Study Committments Through Diagramming 3) Improving Patient Understanding of Common Clinical Procedures Through Visual Narrative 4) Symbolizing Common Clinical Procedures
Other area of interest include:
Design Research Methods
Visual Symbol Systems
Experience & Service
- Conference. AIGA Design Educators Conference. "Connecting Dots: Research, Education, and Practice" (BAD DATE to BAD DATE) , University of Cincinnati, DAAP.
- Elected Member, Reappointment, Promotion, Tenure (RPT), 10-2014 to BAD DATE
- Committee Chair, DAAP Works Exhibition, 01-2015 to 05-2015
- Elected Member, Reappointment, Promotion, Tenure (RPT) Criteria update, 03-2015 to 12-2015
- Committee Member, Communication Design Faculty Search Committee, 08-2013 to 04-2015
- Committee Chair, Grading Policy Committee, 01-2014 to 04-2014
- Conference Organizer, AIGA Design Educators Committee , 05-2013 to 03-2014