School of Design Directory
Juan Antonio Antonio Islas Munoz
Title: Visiting Assistant Professor
Office: 6415 Aronoff Center
Antonio Islas is a Master of Design, class of 2013, from the University of Cincinnati. He received his bachelor in Industrial Design from Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosi in Mexico in 2007, where he worked at Rigoletti Casa de Diseño, an industrial and automotive design school and consultancy, from 2007-2011. He also had the opportunity of working on international toy design and manufacturing projects. He obtained a Fulbright Scholarship in 2011 and came to DAAP for graduate school, where he did research on the semantic perception of automotive design aesthetics and the use of digital sculpting software and its applications to automotive design. He has taught at DAAP since 2013, first as an adjunct and now as a visiting faculty. During this time he has focused on design communication and multidisciplinary studios at the Live Well Collaborative where he has led innovation projects for multinational consumer products, aviation, and healthcare companies.
- Bachelor Degree in Industrial Design, Universidad Autonoma de San Luis Potosi, San Luis Potosi, Mexico, 2007 (Industrial Design).
- Master of Design, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 2013 (Automotive Design Aesthetics and Semantic Perception).
Automotive design aesthetics and the semantic perceptions that derive from it were the central topic of my Master's Thesis. Using digital sculpting software for automotive design applications is another topic I have explored.
International design communication is the main focus of my research and practice. Using and creating effective design communication tools and understanding multicultural and multidisciplinary collaboration are the topics to explore, using Mexico and the US as a playground for research on education and practice.
- (PI), Islas Munoz, Juan, Adaptable Space Design: Boeing Studio Spring Semester 2015, Live Well Collaborative, Inc.. (Live Well Collaborative, Inc.), $21,980.00. 12/01/2014 to 12/01/2015. Status: Active.
- Zammit Raphael, Juan Antonio Islas Munoz (2014). (In Press). Has Digital Clay Finally Arrived?. Computer-Aided Design and Applications, 11 (1), S20.
Presentations & Lectures
- (2014). Has Digital Clay Finally Arrived. Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California.
Experience & Service
- 2014 to 2014, Visiting Faculty, Univesity of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2013 to 2014, Annualized Adjunct Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2013 to 2014, Collaborator and project leader, Live Well Collaborative, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2010 to 2011, Chief Designer, Lactius de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2010 to 2011, Freelance Designer, Octopus Brands, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2007 to 2011, Professor, Academic Coordinator, Designer, Rigoletti Casa de Diseño, Mexico City, Mexico.
Post Graduate training and Education
- 2011 to 2013, Master of Design, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.