You must apply online at the Graduate School Web site: Graduate School Admissions. All application materials must be received by February 1 for the following fall.
Admission to the Master of Design program is based on:
- University application forms
- a baccalaureate design degree from an accredited college or university Note: A 3.0 undergraduate grade point average (in a 4.0 grading system) is required.
- official transcript(s) from all colleges/universities attended
- at least 2 years of professional experience in design practice or teaching
- a statement of Intent that briefly explains educational and professional background and makes a convincing argument for the importance of graduate studies in relation to personal and professional goals and expectations for the future
- examples of visual work (slides, laser-printed portfolio, cd-rom) as an indication of the level of skill development required to pursue graduate studies
- at least 3 personal references who can comment on past performance and future potential in academic and professional efforts
- applicants with English as a second language must have a score of 570 (paper-based) or 230 (computer-based) or 88 (Internet-based) on the Test of English as a second language
People with other backgrounds may not apply directly to the Graduate Program in Design. They should apply to - and be accepted into - one of the undergraduate programs in Design:
- Fashion Design
- Graphic Communication Design
- Industrial Design