Industrial Design Faculty
Juan Antonio Antonio Islas Munoz
Title: Assistant Professor of Practice
Office: 5280C Aronoff Center
Antonio Islas is a Master of Design, class of 2013, from the University of Cincinnati. He received his bachelor in Industrial Design from Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosi in Mexico in 2007, where he worked at Rigoletti Casa de Diseño, an industrial and automotive design school and consultancy, from 2007-2011. He also had the opportunity of working on international toy design and manufacturing projects. He obtained a Fulbright Scholarship in 2011 and came to DAAP for graduate school, where he did research on the semantic perception of automotive design aesthetics and the use of digital sculpting software and its applications to automotive design. He has taught at DAAP since 2013, first as adjunct, later as visiting faculty, and currently as Assistant Professor of Practice. During this time he has focused on Industrial Design visualization and communication, as well as multidisciplinary studios at the Live Well Collaborative where he has led innovation projects for multinational consumer products, aviation, and healthcare companies.
- Bachelor Degree in Industrial Design, Universidad Autonoma de San Luis Potosi, San Luis Potosi, Mexico, 2007 (Industrial Design).
- Master of Design, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 2013 (Automotive Design Aesthetics and Semantic Perception).
Industrial Design Visualization and Communication:
Identifying, generating, and applying techniques that allow for a better understanding of design projects and their context.
Multidisciplinary Advanced Future Projects:
Leading and taking part on industry projects that involve several disciplines to visualize future needs and generate design concepts for complex problems of the world of tomorrow.
Automotive design aesthetics and the semantic perceptions that derive from it were the central topic of my Master's Thesis. Using digital sculpting software for automotive design applications is another topic I have explored.
- (PI), Islas Munoz, Juan, Adaptable Space Design: Boeing Studio Spring Semester 2015, Live Well Collaborative, Inc.. (Live Well Collaborative, Inc.), $21,980.00. 12/01/2014 to 12/01/2015. Status: Active.
- (PI), Islas Munoz, Juan, AUTODESK 16FS Sponsored Studio Collaboration, Autodesk, Inc.. (2016 Autodesk 16FS Sponsored Studio (See Crown 010461-002)), $30,000.00. 08/01/2016 to 07/31/2017. Status: Active.
- (PI), Islas Munoz, Juan, CROWN 16FS Sponsored Studio, Crown Equipment. (2016 SCA Crown Equipment Corp (See Also Autodesk 010462-002)), $30,000.00. 08/01/2016 to 07/31/2017. Status: Active.
- Zammit Raphael, Juan Antonio Islas Munoz (2014). (In Press). Has Digital Clay Finally Arrived?. Computer-Aided Design and Applications, 11 (1), S20.
- Juan Antonio Islas Munoz, Kyrsten Sanderson, Cecilia Arredondo (2014). (In Press). Design and Medicine, Natural Partners. Innovation Quarterly Journal, 33 ( 0731-2334), 52-53, 54 Virginia: Industrial Design Society of America.
Presentations & Lectures
- Raphael Zammit, Juan Antonio Islas Munoz (08/26/2013). Has Digital Clay Finally Arrived? PACE Global Forum, Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, California.
Honors & Awards
- Fulbright Scholarship, 2011.
- International Mexico City Taxi Cab Design Contest, 2008. 1st place with the “Chapulín” project. National. Team project. Collaborated with the general packaging concept. Author of the exterior design, and interior styling. Author of project sketches. .
- Nissan Design America , 2007 to 2008. Selected to participate in two Sponsored Projects for Latin America .
- Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosí Best Student Award, 2002-2007, 2007. .
- Medalla Estudiantes Ejemplares (Exemplar Students Medal) State award, 2007.
- National Industrial Design Students Contest, 2005. Selected for representing Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosí.
Experience & Service
- 2014 to 2014, Visiting Faculty, Univesity of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2013 to 2014, Annualized Adjunct Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2013 to 2014, Collaborator and project leader, Live Well Collaborative, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2010 to 2011, Chief Designer, Lactius de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2010 to 2011, Freelance Designer, Octopus Brands, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2007 to 2011, Professor, Academic Coordinator, Designer, Rigoletti Casa de Diseño, Mexico City, Mexico.
- 2015 to Present, Assistant Professor of Practice, Industrial Design , DAAP, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2014 to 2015, Assistant Visiting Professor, Industrial Design , DAAP, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2013DAAP Camp Coordinator, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2011 to 2013, Graduate Assistant, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2011 to 2015, Live Well Collaborative, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Post Graduate training and Education
- 2011 to 2013, Master of Design, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- Transportation Design Studio 2
- Sophomore Design Visualization 2
- Junior Product Design Communication 2
- Freshmen Design Visualization
- Sophomore Design Technology 2
- Sophomore Design Technology 3
- Pre-Junior Product Design Comunication
- Undergraduate and Graduate Multi-disciplinary Studio
- Sophomore Design Studio