School of Art Directory
Title: Associate Professor
Office: 6489B Aronoff Center
Professor Leininger-Miller (Ph.D., Yale University) teaches 19th-21st-century American and European art history. Publications include New Negro Artists in Paris: African American Painters and Sculptors in the City of Light, 1922-1934 (Rutgers, 2001); several anthology chapters; essays in Deborah Grant; Harlem Renaissance; Black Paris; Paris Connections: African American Artists in Paris; and Picture Cincinnati in Song; and multiple book and exhibition reviews. Leininger-Miller has lectured throughout the U.S., France and Germany, and appeared on radio, television, and in documentaries. She has curated exhibitions at the Public Library of Cincinnati, Yale University Art Gallery, and Weston Art Gallery. Awards are from the NEH, Georgia O’Keeffe Museum Research Center, Kress, Luce, and Smithsonian Institution. At UC, Leininger-Miller won the Diversity Ambassador Award, the Outstanding Academic Advising Award, the President&39;s Quality Service Award, and the Dean’s Award for Outstanding Research. Leininger-Miller was Chair of the national group, the Association of Historians of American Art.
- Ph.D., Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1995 (History of Art).
- M.A., Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1988 (History of Art).
- B.A., Xavier University, Cincinnati, OH, 1986 (English & History, with a Peace Studies concentration).
- M.Phil., Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1990 (History of Art).
African American art, esp. the Harlem Renaissance 19th-20th c. American art, modernism, and landscape History of photography Public art and public funding History of museums and collecting Art History methodology and professional practices West and Central African art Folk /outsider/ self-taught art
Honors & Awards
- Faculty Development Council Award, 2010 to 2014.
- Merit Pay Award for Outstanding Service, 2009 to 2010.
- Regional Finalist, 2010 Inspire Integrity Award, 2009 to 2010. (1 of top 10, out of 136 nominations).
- Provost’s Committee on Diversity Award, 2008 to 2009.
- University Research Council Award, 2007 to 2008.
- Faculty Bonus Award, UC, for Outstanding Research, Teaching, and Service, 2003 to 2006.
- Sarah Grant Barber Outstanding Academic Advising Award, 2005 to 2006.
- President’s Quality Service Award, 2004 to 2005.
- Society for the Preservation of American Modernists Publication , 2003 to 2004.
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, 2003 to 2004.
Experience & Service
- 1999 to Present, Associate Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati,OH.
- 2011 to Present, Director of Museum Studies Graduate Certification Program, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati,OH.
- 1992 to Present, Affiliate Faculty Member Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2007 to Present, Affiliate Faculty Member of Africana Studies, University of Cincinati, Cincinnati,OH.
- 2002 to 2003, Acting Chair of School of Art, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 1992 to 1999, Assistant Profesor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati,OH.
Image: Undergraduate students in the “Approaches to Art History” seminar learn about conservation at the Cincinnati Art Museum with…
Serena Urry, Chief Conservator
Cecile Mear, Conservator of Works on Paper
Chandra Obie, Textile Conservator