School of Art Directory
Kristopher J Holland
Title: Coordinator, Visual Arts Education Licensure; Assistant Professor
Office: 4280B Aronoff Center
Professor Holland received his MA in Art Education from New York University and was a public school teacher of media communications & fine arts at Maxwell Vocational High School in East New York, Brooklyn. He then served as the Communications Coordinator for the Office of Overseas Study at Indiana University before joining the Cultural Immersion Project in the School of Education. Following this experience he became an Associate Instructor at Indiana University teaching courses in foundations of philosophy in the Department of Educational Leadership & Policy Studies and art education in the Department of Curriculum & Instruction. He received his Ph.D. in Philosophy of Education & Art Education from Indiana University in August 2011. His research focuses on qualitative methodologies, philosophical inquiry, and arts-based inquiry. A description & images of the arts-based research project The Habermas Machine was cited in James Rolling Jr.’s Arts-Based Research: A Primer, published in 2013.
- Ph.D, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2011 (Art Education & Philosophy of Education).
- Masters of Arts, New York University, 2003 (Art Education).
- N/A, University of Potsdam, Berlin,Germany, 2000 (German Cultural Studies).
- Bachelor of Arts, State University of New York, Geneseo, NY, 2000 (Art Studio).
- Holland, K., & Anderson N., Education Abroad Program Development Grant . 2,500.00. 2012 to 2013.
- Holland, K., UC International Faculty Abroad Grant . 500.00. 2012 to 2013.
- Holland, K., & Tate J., Development of Studio Inquiry in Berlin . 750.00. 2012 to 2013.
- Holland, K., & Tate J., Education Abroad Program Development Grant . 2500.00. 2012 to 2013.
- Holland, K., Daisy Jones Research Fellowship . 3,400.00. 2011 to 2012.
- McCarty, L., Holland, K. & DeCesare, A., Active Learning Grant . 1,500.00. 2010 to 2011.
- Holland, K., McCarty, L., & DeCesare, A., Writing-‐Teaching Grant . 1,500.00. 2010 to 2011.
- Holland, K., Teachers for Tomorrow . 3,300.00. 2004 to 2005.
Honors & Awards
- Nomination for Dissertation of the Year Award, 2011 to 2012.
- Outstanding Associate Instructor Award, 2009 to 2010.
- Museum Ambassador, 2004 to 2005.
- Cum Laude, 1999 to 2000.
- Outstanding Senior Studio Art Major, 1998 to 1999.
- Golden Key National Honor Society, 1996 to 1997.
- Phi Alpha Theata Academic Honor Society, 1996 to 1997.
- Phi Eta Sigma Freshman Honor Society, 1995 to 1996.
Experience & Service
- 2011 to Present, Assistant Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2011 to Present, Licensure Director, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati,OH.
- 2006 to 2011, Associate Instructor, Indiana University, Bloomington,IN.
- “Leviathan Objects: From Materialism to Speculative Realism & That Dangerous Supplement.” The Derrida Today Conference, Fordham University, New York, NY May 28--31, 2014
- “Fact: George Bush is a Painter. Conjecture: Žižek Has Something to Say About (That) Fact.” The International Žižek Studies Conference, The College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning (DAAP), University of Cincinnati, April 4--6, 2014
- “Walking Spaces for Socially Engaged Arts--Based Research: Reflections and Disruptions on Practice.” Co-presentation with Dr. Flavia Bastos & Dr. Vicki Daiello & Chris Luessen, 1st Conference on Arts-Based & Artistic Research critical reflections on the intersection between art and research, Sala de Juntas, Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Barcelona, January 31st -- February1st, 2013
- “Rethinking Art & Design Education as Human Inquiry.” Re--Design Design Education Conference:Scope, Methods, and Principles, Jiangnan University, School of Design, Wuxi, China, May 23--25, 2012
- “Žižek’s Package: Dissemination, Desire, Simulacrum & Sycophany of the Intellectual.” The International Žižek Studies Conference, The College at Brockport (SUNY), April 28--29, 2012