School of Art Directory
Vittoria S Daiello
Title: Associate Professor
Office: 4280A Aronoff Center
Vittoria S. Daiello earned her doctorate in art education from The Ohio State University in 2010. Her research of writing as a generative method of arts-informed inquiry emerged from her work as an interdisciplinary writing consultant for OSU's Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) center and from her design of a writing-intensive television criticism course for the art education program at Ohio State. Drawing from composition studies and psychoanalytic theories, Daiello has developed an artistic writing pedagogy derived from the formal and informal writing occurring around students' arts studio and research endeavors. Daiello approaches writing development as artistic inquiry, where composition skills are refined through translation and articulation of the elusive modes of knowing that propel an artist’s or researcher’s work.
Vittoria Daiello's art practice is entwined with her teaching and research. Small-scale sculptures employ metal, paper, and ink to explore the performative qualities of language. Her arts education experience ranges from teaching in K-12 public schools to interdisciplinary artist-in-residence projects. Daiello presents her research in national and international juried proceedings, including the American Educational Research Association (AERA) meeting, the International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry (ICQI), the National Art Education Association (NAEA) conference, and the 1st Conference on Arts-Based and Artistic Research, University of Barcelona. Peer-reviewed publications include Visual Arts Research Journal, The Journal of Social Theory in Art Education, Studies in Art Education, and Creative Approaches to Research.
Dr. Daiello currently serves on the Contemporary Arts Center (CAC) Education Task Force.
- Ph.D., Art Education, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 2010 (Art Education Dissertation: The “I” of the Text: A Psychoanalytic Theory Perspective on Students’ Television Criticism Writing, Subjectivity, and Critical Consciousness in Visual Culture Art Education).
- M.A., Art Education, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 2005 (Art Education Thesis: Art Education at the Speed of Life: A Philosophical Inquiry into an Online Arts Education Course).
- B.F.A, Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, OH, 1999 (Metals and Digital Imaging).
- Mapping the Possibilities: Exploring New Cartographies of Arts , Faculty Development Council. 2013.
- Daiello, V., Bonansinga, K., & Paice, K. , Museum Studies Masters Program Development Grant, Faculty Development Council. 2013.
- ICQI 2012: Mentoring Student Research Writing Development Grant, Faculty Development Council. 2012.
- CSTW Research on Writing and Composition in 21st Century Contexts Grant, The Ohio State University. 2008.
- (PI), CCCC Research Travel Award , Faculty Development Council. $1,600. 2015.
- (PI), Course Development in Reggio Emilia, Italy, UC International. $3,600. 2015.
- (PI), AERA Research Support, Chicago, IL, School of Art, University of Cincinnati. $1,000. 2015.
- AERA Research, Washington, DC, Faculty Development Council. $1,500. 2016.
- Daiello, V. (2014). Wherever I Am, I Am What is Missing. Creative Approaches to Research Journal, 7(1), 46-66..
- Daiello, V. With Flávia Bastos, Kristopher Holland, and Christopher Luessen (2013). Walking Spaces for Socially Engaged Arts-Based Research: Reflections and Disruptions On/In Practice. Published Proceedings of the 1st Conference on Arts-Based And Artistic Research, University of Barcelona, Spain..
- Daiello, V. (2010). (K)not an Impasse: Working Through Lacanian Theory as Research Methodology”. Visual Arts Research, 36 (2), 83-102..
- Daiello, V. (2010). Silences Between Words and World: Deconstruction and the Evolution of an Inquiry.. In T. Barrett, Making Art: Form and Meaning, McGraw Hill..
- Daiello, V. (2008). Ephemera in Art.. ChildArt: The Magazine of the International Child Art Foundation, 11 (2), 6..
- Daiello, V., Walker, S., Rhoades, M., and Hathaway, K. (2006). Complicating Visual Culture.. Studies in Art Education, 47 (4), 308-325..
- Daiello, V., Barrett, T., Blackson, V., and Goffos, M (2006). God: The Taboo Topic in Art Education. The Journal of Social Theory in Art Education, 26,, 59-84..
Presentations & Lectures
- Daiello, Vittoria (2014). “Rethinking Research: Innovative Approaches to the Thesis/Dissertation” CECH-College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services -Teachers College, University of Cincinnati.
- Daiello, Vittoria (2013). Art + Literacy/ies Panel National Council of Teachers of English Research Assembly (NCTEAR), The Ohio State University.
- Daiello, Vittoria (2011). Visual Metaphor and Critical, Reflexive Writing Arts Writing Workshop with Professor Terry Barrett, The Ohio State University.
- Vittoria Daiello (2016). Shimmering Assemblage: The Unexpected Gifts of Uncertainty, Doubt, and Transdisciplinarity Kenneth Marantz Distinguished Alumni Lecture, The Ohio State University.
Honors & Awards
- DAAP Award for Outstanding Teaching - University of Cincinnati, 2011.
- Manuel Barkan Dissertation Award - The Ohio State University, 2008.
- Graduate Associate Teaching Award - The Ohio State University, 2007.
Experience & Service
- 2010 to 2016, Assistant Professor, University of Cincinnati, College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning - School of Art, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2008 to 2009, Interdisciplinary Writing Consultant, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- 2005 to 2009, Graduate Teaching Associate, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- 2008 to 2008, Graduate Teaching Associate, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- 2008 to 2008, Visiting Art Instructor, Contemporary Art Center of Virginia Beach, Virginia Beach, VA.
- 2002 to 2005, Graduate Teaching Associate, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- 1998 to 2002, Artist/Teacher in Residence and Arts Integration Specialist, Smith Elementary School; Delaware City School District, Delaware, OH.
- 2001 to 2002, Art Teacher, Buckeye Valley West Elementary; Buckeye Valley School District, Delaware, OH.
- 2016 to Present, Associate Professor, University of Cincinnati, College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning - School of Art, Cincinnati, OH .