School of Art Directory
Title: Adjunct Instructor
Office: Aronoff Center
Professor Lauren Cordes Tate received her MA and PhD in Art History from Indiana University and a BA in Art History from the University of Cincinnati. Her dissertation, "Pioneering Identity on the Frontier: Slaves, Soldiers, and Settlers in the American West," examines images of African Americans in nineteenth-century frontier spaces. Tate has presented portions of her research at the annual conferences of the College Art Association, the Midwest Art History Society, and the National Council for Black Studies. In 2011, she published a book review of Lisa Farrington’s Creating Their Own Image: The History of African American Women Artists (Oxford University Press, 2005.), in The Coordinating Council for Women in History Newsletter.
- Ph.D , Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2013 (American Art History, minors in African Art History and American Studies).
- Masters of Fine Arts, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2005 (Art History).
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 2000 (Art History).
Experience & Service
- 2012 to Present, College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning Instructor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2012 to 2013, Art Department Instructor, Miami University , Oxford, OH .
- 2011 to 2012, Art and Visual Communications Department Instructor, Blue Ash College, Cincinnati,OH.
- 2009 to 2010, Department of Fine Arts Instructor, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB.
- 2009 to 2010, Department of Interior Design and Art History Instructor, Mount Royal University, Calgary, AB.
Awards, Honors, and Fellowships
2010, Friends of Art Fellowship, School of Fine Arts, IUB
2009, Dissertation Research Award, Henry Luce Fund, Department of Art History, IUB
2008 COAS Travel Award, College of Arts and Sciences, IUB
2008 Gulnar Bosch Travel Award, Southeastern College Art Conference
2008 Dissertation Research Award, Henry Luce Fund, Department of Art History, IUB
2008 Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History Research Fellowship, New York
2007 Future Faculty Teaching Fellowship, Herron School of Art and Design, IUPUI
2007 COAS Travel Grant, College of Arts and Sciences, IUB
2005 Friends of Art Fellowship, School of Fine Arts, IUB
2002-2007 Assistant Instructorship, Department of Art History, IUB
2000 Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, University of Cincinnati
1999 Travel Fellowship, Department of Art History, University of Cincinnati