School of Art Directory
Flavia Maria Cunha Bastos
Office: 4280D Aronoff Center
Professor Bastos’ experiences with teaching, research and academic leadership, along with her current role as Director of Graduate Studies in Visual Arts Education have provided a platform to explore the dialectics of local and international influences in art education theory and practice. Since her doctorate at Indiana University, she has been engaged in building transformative connections between art education and communities through her several publications, editorial work, public speaking, teaching, and service based contemporary understandings of community, culture, and art. She has been recognized with the Mary J. Rouse Award (2006) and the Ziegfeld Award (2008), served as senior editor of the Journal of Art Education (2009-10), elected Higher Education Division Director (2013-15) for the National Art Education Association Board of Directors, and in 2012 honored with a lifetime membership to the Council of Policy Studies in Art Education.
- Ph.D, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN., 1999 (Art Education).
- Bachelor of Arts , University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre,Brazil, 1989 (Pedagogy).
- Master of Science, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 1996 (Art Education).
Community-based Art Education International Art Education Participatory-action Research Folk and Outsider art
- (PI), Bastos, Flavia Maria Cunha, Artist in Residence, Ohio Arts Council. (080032), $2,400.00. 07/01/2008 to 09/30/2008. Status: Closed.
- Bastos, F. M. C., & Zimmerman, E. (In Press). Connecting Creativity Research and Practice in Art Education. Reston, VA: National Art Education Association.
- Bastos, F. M. C. Creating communities at home and abroad. Through the prism: Looking into the spectrum of writings (pp. 29-46). Reston, VA:National Art Education Association..
- Bastos, F. M. C. (2009). Can art education shape society?. Journal of Art Education (pp.pp. 4-5)..
- Bastos, F. M. C (2009). Interrogating the world and ourselves. Journal of Art Education (pp.4-5)..
- Bastos, F. M. C. (2007). Art in the Market program: Ten years of community-based art education. Journal of Cultural Research in Art Education (pp.51-63)..
- Bastos, F. M. C. (2007). Snapshots of an art educator’s life: Rouse acceptance speech. The Women’s Caucus Report (pp. 15-19)..
- Bastos, F. M. C., & McKay, S. W. (2014). Higher Education Division (pp.Pg. 9-10)..
Presentations & Lectures
- (2013). “Transforming Cities through Art: Pedagogies of Change and Empowerment” University of Barcelona, Spain.
- (2013). “Ensinando à Partir da Comunidade: Práticas e Idéias Desestabilizadoras em Arte e Educação” Anápolis, Goiás.
- (2006). “Art Education Activist Research: A Post-Colonial Approach” Goiânia, Goiás.
- (2001). “DBAE and Community Art” University of São, Paulo,Brazil.
- (2001). “Community Art and Culture: Implications for Education and Teacher Preparation” Lutheran University of Brazil,, Canoas, Rio Grande do Sul.
- (2009). “Working with Youth in Art Education: The Experience of the Art in the Market Program” Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA.
- (2004). “Community-Based Art Education: Theory and Practice” Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI.
- (2014). “Brazilian Art and Community Work” Ohio State University, Columbus,OH.
- (2013). “Outsider Art” Contemporary Art Center, Cincinnati, OH.
Experience & Service
- 2011 to 2012, Interim Director, School of Art ( University of Cincinnati), Cincinnati,OH.
- 2013 to Present, Director of Graduate Studies, School of Art (University of Cincinnati), Cincinnati,OH.
- 2009 to 2009, Visiting Professor of Art Education, University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
- 2003 to Present, Program Director, Art in the Market Program, true.
- 1996 to 1996, Field Work Supervisor, Foundations of Art Education, and Methods , Indiana University, Bloomington, IN,.
- 1993 to 1994, Assistant Instructor, Creative Movement for Children, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN.
- 1999 to 2000, Assistant Professor of Art Education, Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana.
- 1987 to 1988, Teaching Assistant, Sociology of Education, University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
- 2005 to Present, Visual Arts Examiner, International Baccalaureate Organization, Cardiff, Wales.
- 2005 to 2005, Professional Development Consultant, Cincinnati Public Schools, Cincinnati,OH.
- 1999 to 2004, International Consultant, Scientific Board of GEEMPA, Porto Alegre, Brazil.