Master of Fine Arts Faculty
Katie E Parker
Title: Associate Professor
Office: 4300 Wolfson Center
Professor Katie Parker attended the Kansas City Art Institute from 1999-2003 and received a BFA degree in ceramics, going straight to The Ohio State University for an MFA, received in 2005. Currently, Parker is an Associate Professor of Art at the University of Cincinnati, running the ceramics department. Since 2008 she has collaborated with Guy Michael Davis under the name Future Retrieval, combining new technology, porcelain and good craft. Their installations merge the strengths of their studio practice – a dark vein of curiosity backed by a historical current. Future Retrieval have exhibited both nationally and internationally, and are represented by Denny Gallery in New York City. They have been artists in residence at the Bemis Center for Contemporary Art in Omaha, NE, The Pottery Workshop in Jingdezhen China, Dresdner Porzellan in Freital Germany, Smithsonian Artist Research Fellows at the National Museum of Natural History and Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum, and in 2017 Resident Artists and Grant Holders at Iaspis in Stockholm Sweden.
- BFA, Kansas City Art Institute, Kansas City, MO, 2003 (Ceramics).
- MFA, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 2005 (Ceramics).
Future Retrieval's installations merge the strengths of their studio practice – a dark vein of curiosity backed by a historical current. Their process lies in the conceptualization, discovery, and acquisition of form – lately objects of art historical significance. They incorporate an interdisciplinary approach to their work, striving to make these items that influence them relevant to today. Their interest in new technologies and industrial methods is coupled with the notion that each piece is handmade reinforcing ideals of time and labor.
- (PI), Parker, Katie, Bringing Craftsmanship to a New Scale through Exhibition Design and Display , UC's Research Support. (URS AHSS and IR Advancement Grants AY 2017-2018), $6,251.00. 07/01/2017 to 12/31/2019. Status: Active.
Experience & Service
- 2009 to 2015, Assistant Professor of Fine Arts, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2008 to 2009, Annualized Adjunct Assistant Professor of Fine Arts, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati,OH.
- 2006 to 2008, Visiting Lecturer, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- 2005 to 2006, Teaching Assistant, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- 2015 to Present, Associate Professor of Fine Arts, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati OH.
FUTURE RETRIEVAL: www.futureretrieval.com
(selected) Solo Exhibitions
2017 Permanent Spectacle, Denny Gallery, New York, New York
Permanent Spectacle, Fuller Craft Museum, Brockton, MA
2016 Façade, Spring Break Art Fair, New York, New York
collaboration with Jordan Tate, curated by Elizabeth Denny
Façade, Marshall University, Huntington, WV
collaboration with Jordan Tate
2015 Future Retrieval x Chris Vorhees, The Sculpture Center,
Cleveland, OH, collaboration with Chris Vorhees
Uncanny Valley, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
2014 Grand Theft: Katie Parker + Guy Michael Davis, FotoFocus Biennial exhibition, The Carnegie, Covington, KY
2012 Katie Parker and Guy Michael Davis, Belger Arts Center/Red Star,
Kansas City, MO
2011 Still[ed] Life, Taft Museum of Art, Cincinnati, OH
Master of Fine Arts
of Art Information
Are you a current or former School of Art student wanting to connect with classmates? Search for the group University of Cincinnati Fine Art Graduate Students on Facebook.