Master of Fine Arts Faculty
Title: Coordinator, Graduate Programs in Art Education, Art History and Fine Arts; Associate Professor
Office: 6431D Aronoff Center
Professor Girandola is originally from Baltimore, Maryland. His work has been exhibited broadly and in many venues, including; the Museum of Contemporary Art (Geffen Contemporary), Los Angeles; Kunsthalle Wien, Austria; Kwangju Biennial, South Korea; and the Center for Contemporary Art (Nexus) Biennial, Atlanta, Georgia. He was the recipient of a Pollock-Krasner Foundation Grant for 2003-04, an Adolph and Esther Gottlieb Grant; Change, Inc. Grant; and an Artists Fellowship, Inc. Grant. Girandola received artist fellowships at The MacDowell Colony, Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts, Santa Fe Art Institute, DUCTAC Art Center (Dubai), and at the Caldera Artist Residency Program. His work is included in collections nationally and internationally and he was a West Prize winner in 2012. Girandola was formerly the Director of the MFA Program at the University of the Arts, Philadelphia from 2009-2012 and was Assistant Director for the Santa Fe Art Institute (NM) from 2002-2004.
- Masters of Fine Arts, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 1996 (Sculpture/Time Based Media).
- Bachelor of Arts, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA, 1992 (Studio-Art Sculpture).
- “Rise and Fall; Monumental Duct Tape Drawings”
- The Moving Gallery, Omaha, NE: Nov.-January. 2014
- Meyers Gallery, University of Cincinnati, OH: Feb.-March-2013
- Delaware Center for Contemporary Arts, Wilmington, DE: Sept. 2012-Feb. 2013
- “Amore mio…ti manco” ArtPrize Exhibition, Grand Rapids, MI: Sept.-Oct. 2013. Top Five Venue Selection by Curator Alice Gray Stites
- “Gravity” February-September 2011 Arnot Art Museum Elmira, New York
- “Gotti Slept Here” November 2010 Windows on Broad University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- “Perso/Trovo” January-March, 2010 Hamilton Hall Public Art Initiative University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- “Horse Sense” September, 2009 Gallery 817, Philadelphia, PA
- “Down the Stretch- Works by Joe Girandola” June-September, 2009 Blind Lady Gallery, San Diego, CA
- “Once Upon a Time” June, 2009 Avon Heritage Duct Tape Festival Lead Sponsored Artist in Residence Avon, OH
- “And They’re Off” May 2009 Winslow Garage Gallery, Los Angeles
- “Shadows of Los Angeles” April 2009 Hope Gallery, Los Angeles
- “Once Upon a Time, New Works by Joe Girandola” September 2009 Charles Schwab Corporate Gallery, New York, NY
- “STICKY, New works by Joe Girandola” December 2006-Jan 2007 R3 Gallery, San Diego.
- “Who’s First? New works by Joe Girandola.” July 2004 darkroom Gallery, Omaha, NE.
- “Breadpeace, Installation by Joe Girandola.”May 30-July 7, 2003 Cloud Cliff Artspace, Santa Fe, NM.
- “New Work, Joe Girandola.” December 13-January 30, 2002. Vera Mercer Gallery, Omaha, NE.
- “Joe Girandola, Artist in Residence, New Work.” June 5-July 10, 1998. University of Nebraska-Omaha Gallery, Omaha, NE.
- “Evidence,” Thesis Exhibition.” December 7-20, 1996. Classic Screen Print Building, Athens, GA.
- “Ill Communication.” March 4-16, 1996. William J. Thompson Gallery, Athens, GA.
- “New Work, Joe Girandola.” August 3- September 2, 1993. SACI Gallery, Florence, Italy.
Master of Fine Arts
of Art Information
Are you a current or former School of Art student wanting to connect with classmates? Search for the group University of Cincinnati Fine Art Graduate Students on Facebook.