How do I set up an advising appointment?
DAAP’s main advising office is in the Student Affairs office, located in 5470 Aronoff. The office is located on the fifth floor, off of the Grand Stair, near the DAAP library. Appointments are generally available from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
Academic advising appointments are set up on an individual basis, and are scheduled in 30 minute blocks. While walk-in appointments may be available, it is preferred that appointments are scheduled ahead of time. Students can schedule appointments in person, by calling the Student Affairs office at 513-556-1376, or online. To sign up online, log on to Blackboard, select the Starfish application under ‘Tools’, and find your appropriate advisor listed in ‘My Success Network’.
If you are unable to make a scheduled appointment, please be sure to reschedule that appointment ahead of time. We will do our best to get you an appointment as soon as possible, but we ask that you understand availability varies throughout the term, and can be especially challenging around registration.
What should I expect from an advising appointment?
- Appointments are typically done on an individual basis, and are therefore set up according to your needs.
- Common issues addressed during advising appointments include, but are not limited to:
- Determining a course schedule;
- Checking degree progress and graduation requirements;
- Planning for semester conversion, including developing Individual Advising Plans (IAPs);
- Addressing academic concerns, such as challenging courses, early intervention warnings, probation and suspensions, grade replacements, etc.;
- Discussing DAAP and university policies and procedures, including important deadlines, switching programs, leaves of absence, and required paperwork;
- Personal concerns; and,
- Referrals to other campus resources as needed.
Your academic advisor will work with you to inform, encourage and support you through your journey through UC and DAAP. However, students are still required to take personal responsibility for their educational success.
Appointments are scheduled in 30 minute blocks, but if you feel you will need more time, extended appointment times are available.