Morgan Katherine Thomas
Title: Assistant Professor
Office: 6489C Aronoff Center
Professor Thomas’s teaching and research interests include modern and contemporary art, cinema and the moving image, aesthetics and art criticism, and exhibition histories. She completed a PhD in Art History at the University of Sydney and has worked as a translator, editor and critic. Her publications include contributions to Rothko (Tate), The Fall of the Studio: Artists at Work (Valiz), Crossing Cultures: Conflict, Migration, Convergence (University of Melbourne Publishing), and How Aborigines Invented the Idea of Contemporary Art (Power Publications/University of Washington Press). With Julian Pefanis, she edited and co-translated a collection of writings by philosopher Jean-François Lyotard, The Postmodern Explained (University of Minnesota Press). She serves on the editorial board of the peer-reviewed journal Reading Room: A Journal of Art and Culture. Current research includes a project examining modes of translation between painting and cinema.
- Ph.D, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia, 2003 (Art History).
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia, 1991 (Fine Arts).
modern and contemporary international art aesthetics and visual media art criticism modernism
- University of Canterbury College of Arts Internal Research Grant. (NZD4500), 2009 to 2010.
- School of Humanities Contestable Research Funding. (NZD3900), 2009 to 2010.
- University of Canterbury College of Arts Internal Research Grant. (NZD5400), 2008 to 2009.
- School of Humanities Contestable Research Funding. (NZD11000), 2008 to 2009.
- University of Canterbury College of Arts Internal Research Grant. (NZD7800), 2007 to 2008.
- University of Canterbury College of Arts Internal Research Grant. (NZD6000), 2006 to 2007.
- University of Queensland Faculty of Arts research grant. (AUD9600), 2002 to 2003.
- "Interdisciplinary curricular and teaching initiatives — Exhibition studies" , Faculty Development Grant, University of Cincinnati. 2013.
Experience & Service
- 2011 to Present, Assistant Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 2010 to 2011, Senior Lecturer in Modern and Contemporary Art History, University of Canterbury, New Zealand.
- 1999 to 2004, Associate Lecturer, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia .
- 1995 to 1996, Research assistant , University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
- 1991 to 1992, Editor and translator, University of Sydney , Sydney, Australia.
Image: Photo: Still from Van Gogh (b & w, dir. Alain Resnais, 1948).