The University of Cincinnati will cancel all classes on the Uptown and Medical campuses at 11:00 a.m. today including all classes in session at that time. Offices on these campuses also will close at 11:00 a.m. More Information
Professor Tate has a B.Phil in Interdisciplinary Studies from Miami University and an MFA from Indiana University. He was a Fulbright Fellow in 2008-2009. His work represents a shift away from the understanding of photography as mechanical reproduction and an acknowledgement of the image-maker as the mediator of sight. Tate explores process and practice in contemporary image viewing and production. His work is based in ongoing research/meta-photographic critique concerning the visual and conceptual processes of image comprehension. Tate’s work is held in collections nationwide, including Rhizome at the New Museum, the Museum of Contemporary Photography, The Fred and Laura Bidwell Collection, the Cincinnati Art Museum, the Columbus Museum of Art, and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. Recent exhibitions of his works include: Herron School of Art, PH Gallery (UK), Denny Gallery and Higher Pictures (NYC), The Photographer Gallery (London), and Transformer Station and the Museum of Contemporary Art, Cleveland.
- Master of fine arts, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2007 (Photography).
- Bachelor of Philosophy, Miami University, Oxford, OH, 2003 (Philosophy).
New Work is an exploration of visual language and process. In a sense it is an examination of how we see, what we see, what merits being seen, and how images function in contemporary visual culture. The photographic image is still often viewed as a mechanical reproduction of reality. In this paradigm, the photograph functions not as an object, but as a conceptually transparent representation of a reproduced reality rather than an object loaded with historical and functional contexts. New Work represents a shift away from the context of photograph as mechanical reproduction and is an acknowledgement of the image-maker as the mediator of sight, as well as an exploration of process and practice in contemporary image viewing and production. These images are a continuation of ongoing research / meta-photographic critique concerning the visual and conceptual processes of image comprehension.
Experience & Service
- 2010 to Present, Assistant Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati,OH.
- 2009 to 2010, Photography Instructor, Alberta College of Srt & Design, Alberta, Canada.
- 2008 to 2009, Fulbright Fellow, Institute for International Education, Berlin, Germany.
- 2007 to 2008, Adjunct Faculty , Wright State University, Dayton, OH.
- 2004 to 2007, Adjunct Faculty / Associate Instructor , Indiana University, Bloomington, IN.
- Fragments of an Unknowable Whole OSU Urban Arts Space Columbus, OH Curated by Tim Smith
- SUPERBLACK (solo) Transformer Station Art Museum Cleveland, OH
- BLOG RE-BLOG Austin Center for Photography Austin, TX Curated by Max Marshall and Paul Paper
- Ambients Peninsula Art Space Brooklyn, NY Curated by Rachel Valinsky
- Deliberate Operations Nextart Gallery Gothenburg, Sweden Curated by Flemming Ove Bech and Johan Rosenmunthe
- Deliberate Operations Neon Heater Gallery Findlay, OH Curated by the Everything Is Collective
- New Works (solo) Neon Heater Gallery, Findlay, OH Curated by Ian Breidenbach
- New Work (solo) Denny Gallery, NY, NY Curated by Elizabeth Denny
- Render Steinsland Berliner Stockholm, Sweden Curated by Johan Rosenmunthe and Flemming Ove Bech
- BLOG RE-BLOG SIGNAL GALLERY, NY, NY. Curated by Max Marshall and Paul Paper
- Photography’s Back to the Future Riffe Gallery, Columbus, OH Curated by Catherine Evans, William and Sarah Soter Curator of Photography, Columbus Museum of Art
- Useful Pictures Michael Matthews Gallery, NY, NY Curated by Zach Nader
- F(re)e Play Stadium Gallery, NY, NY Curated by James Michael Shaeffer
- BEST OF Fach & Asendorf Gallery Museum of the Moving Image, NY, NY Curated by Ole Fach & Kim Asendorf
- SoFA Revisited Grunwald Gallery of Art Bloomington, IN Curated by Betsy Stirratt
- New Containers (solo) Herron Galleries Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis, IN Curated by Catherine Evans, William and Sarah Soter Curator of Photography, Columbus Museum of Art
- Jordan Tate + Anthony Pearson (two person exhibition) Voltage Space, Cincinnati, OH Curated by Lisa Kurzner
- Where Does Time Go PH, Newbridge on Tyne, UK Curated by Kuba Ryniewicz
- Business Innovations for Ubiquitous Authorship Higher Pictures, NY, NY Curated by Artie Vierkant
- Born in 1987 - The Animated GIF The Photographers Gallery, London, UK Curated by Katrina Sluis
- Terraforming: Contemporary Discourse in Landscape Photography Montgomery College. Takoma Park, MD Curated by John Morris and Megan Van Wagoner