Denise R Burge
Office: 6431 Aronoff Center
Professor Burge holds an MFA from Virginia Commonwealth University (1991). She teaches courses that range from seminars on film theory to fiber art. She works in a variety of media, including drawing, film, and quiltmaking. Her quilt work has been widely commissioned and collected, and was included in two Quilt National exhibitions. For this work she has been awarded multiple Ohio Arts Council grants, a Joan Mitchell Foundation award, and residencies at the Headlands Center for the Arts and the Fine Art Work Center in Provincetown. In 2006 she formed a collaborative animation group called "The Dozens". Their work premiered at the Fringe Festival in Edinboro, Scotland, and has been in several national and international film festivals. She recently formed the collaborative group “Maidens of the Cosmic Body Running”. They exhibited at the Contemporary Art Center in Cincinnati (2011) and at New Harmony Indiana (2014) in celebration of their biennial.
- Masters of Fine Art, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, 1991 (Painting and Printmaking).
- Bachlor of Fine Arts, University of North Carolina , Greensboro,NC, 1987 (Painting and Printmaking).
Honors & Awards
- DAAP Outstanding Service Award, 2000 to 2001.
Experience & Service
- 2000 to Present, Director, MFA Program, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 1996 to 2007, Foundations Studio Coordinator, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 1998 to Present, Associate Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
- 1995 to 1999, Freelance Illustrator, Brutal Gift Studios.
- 1992 to 1998, Assistant Professor, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH.
SOLO AND TWO-PERSON EXHIBITIONS
- The Gazr In U, New Harmony, Indiana
- Vibrational Natures, Hobohaus Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Do You Know the Shape of Desire?, Aisle Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio--also St. Edwards University, Austin Texas
- Good Vibrations, MuseumGallery/GalleryMuseum, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Stirring, two-person exhibition with Dominic Guarnaschelli, 930 Art Center, Louisville, Kentucky
- Majr Gazr, Contemporary Art Center, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Ditch Freeze, two-person exhibit with Rose McCormick, Ditch Projects, Springfield, Oregon
- Denise Burge: Original Dirt, Elmhurst Art Museum, Elmhurst, Illinois
- This Feeling of Nature, Aisle Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- On the Point of Crystal Time, DeVos Museum, Marquette, Michigan
- Solo Exhibition, Bruce Gallery, Edinboro University, Edinboro, Pennsylvania
- Screening of Video Work, Contemporary Arts Center, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Solo Exhibition, And/Or gallery, Dallas, Texas
- Two-Person Exhibition, with Jacob Semko, Hanover College, Hanover, Indiana
- Procession of the Great Destroyer, two-person exhibition with Tracy Featherstone, Warsaw Project Space, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Anthem, Weston Art Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- With Reverent Hands, Massillon Museum, Massillon, Ohio
- View from the Car and other Stories, Southern Ohio Museum of Art, Portsmouth, Ohio-- also, Mount St. Mary’s University, Emmitsburg, Maryland
- Your Mud Is Alive, Fine Arts Work Center, Provincetown, Massachusetts
- Love Me and Despair, Linda Schwartz Gallery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Ecstatic, Linda Schwartz Gallery
- Sabbatical Exhibition, 840 Gallery, University of Cincinnati
- 8 x 10, Antioch University, Yellow Springs, Ohio
- New Work, Transylvania University, Lexington, Kentucky
- New Work, (juried), A.R.C. Gallery, Chicago, Illinois
- Solo Exhibition, Acme Art, Columbus, Ohio
- The Space Between, (juried), University of Alabama, Huntsville, Alabama